FAQ's About N.C. Licensure

  • How do I qualify for a North Carolina license?

    The standard basis for licensure is the completion of an approved education program from a regionally accredited college or university. Most out-of-state applicants qualify through reciprocity plans that allow educators from outside North Carolina to establish eligibility for licensing in North Carolina; this doesn’t include possible testing requirements for a North Carolina License.

    What documents are required for a North Carolina license application?

    • Official degree dated transcripts(s) from each degree earned: original or clear copy (front & back) with registrar’s signature
    • Lateral Entry applicants: transcripts from all universities attended
    • Other state license(s): copy of front & back, with code key
    • Copies of Praxis II test scores and/or other state test score reports – all pages must be submitted
    • Form V required for graduate degrees in Education
    • Form(s) E and/or CE, NE or ME verified by each former employer for any prior teaching experience

    When should I apply for a NC License?

    Anytime if applying for your own license based on Reciprocity. As an employee of CCS, you must complete the application process within 60 days of employment.

    May I apply for a license if I have not met the testing requirement?

    Yes, DPI will determine a timeline for completing testing requirements. You will receive a license requirements letter with your license via email. It is important that you share this letter with Human Resources.

    Will my previous experience be credited to my NC license?

    Yes, in most cases. Properly documented professional experience from out-of-state schools or private schools are creditable under the same criteria as experience in a NC school. Educators are paid at the beginning level of teacher pay, Bachelor’s with no experience, until the license is issued.

    Once the license is issued, the employee’s salary will be adjusted to reflect experience and any applicable advanced degree retroactive to the date established by DPI.

    How long will it take to receive my NC license?

    A minimum of 45 days after submission to DPI during peak seasons (May – December).

    What is the initial fee for a North Carolina license application?

    Out-of-State (reciprocal) $100.00

    Graduate of NC Teacher Ed Program $70.00

    Provisional/C-T, other $100.00

    Additional fee ($60) is required when amending the license: adding license areas, adding experience, upgrading teacher education degrees (MEd, EdS, EdD), adding Student Services areas.

    Mastercard or VISA card [no cash] due at the time of completing the application

    Provisional license:

    Complete a minimum of 6 semester hours from an approved program of study for licensure before the start of each school year regardless of employment status.  Praxis II testing must be passed by the completion of all coursework.

    Lateral Entry & Career Technical license:

    Submit an approved Program of Study or Individual Education Plan from a North Carolina accredited teacher education program at the university level or from the Regional Alternative Licensing Center (RALC)
    Complete a minimum of 6 semester hours each school year from the above plan
    Submit passing Praxis II or Pearson test scores on/before date on license requirement letter or by the time the last class is completed
    Meet all course and testing requirements within the 3-year limit, whether or not employment continues

    License Validation:

    You have 3 years to complete 8 CEUs

    If I applied for my NC license on my own, does CCS need a copy?

    Yes. Please give us a copy of the  license and the license requirement letter.

    How do I renew my license? Is there a fee involved?

    The renewal window opens April 15th through June 30 and is a $35 fee paid online.

    I need a copy of my license:

    Visit www.vo.licensure.ncpublicschools.gov

    Log in to access your license

    I need a copy of my Praxis test(s):

    Please call the HR Records Management Clerk, 910-678-2345. If it is not in your Personnel File, then you will need to contact

    ETS 1-800-772-9476.

    How do I add a new license area?

    There are two options:

    Complete a MEd., EdS, or EdD in a new area and the university will recommend adding it to your license.
    Teachers with a “clear” initial or continuing teaching license (excludes Career-Technical restricted licenses and student services educators) may take the appropriate Praxis II test(s) to add additional areas or if you have 24 credit hours in a specific area
    Graduate Degrees in Teacher Education:

    We can’t stress enough to complete your advanced educational degree with the university system in North Carolina. The NC universities’ programs lead to North Carolina licensing. Many of the NC universities do offer advanced degree/licensure program on-line.

    In order to get a Master’s or higher designation on a NC license, the advanced degree must be in a specific NC license area.

    Regarding out-of-state and on-line universities, you are going to have to make your own decision.

    Not all on-line university programs will qualify for a license in North Carolina even if they respond positively to the questions below.

    Questions to ask the university:

    Is the university regionally accredited?
    Is the program an approved teacher education program?
    NOTE: Degrees started after 8/1/2013 will not be used for additional pay purposes.

Contact Us