Types of Licensure


    Types of Licensure
    Initial License (IPL)
    Initial Licenses are valid for three years.  To be issued an IPL, an individual must have:

    • Completed a state-approved teacher education program from a regionally accredited college or university, or
    • Completed another state’s approved alternative route to licensure, met the federal requirements to be designated as “Highly Qualified,” and earned a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college.

    Continuing License (CPL)

    SP2 Licenses are valid for five years.  Teachers who are fully licensed and “Highly Qualified,” in another state who have three or more years of teaching experience in another state AND who meet NC’s Praxis testing requirements OR have National Board Certification are issued the SP2 license (NBPTS excludes Elementary Education and Special Education).

    License is issued with the requirement that coursework for IPL or CPL license is satisfied at the rate of six semester hours per year. Hours must be completed prior to the beginning of each new school year.  Praxis II test(s) may also be required to clear the provisional area.

    Provisional licenses may also be added to IPL or CPL licenses.

    Work Experience Alternative Route License.  Full-time documented work experience requirements vary based on degree level.  Licensure completion may be through a NC university-approved teacher education program or DPI may outline the specific requirements.  License completion required within 3 school years including Praxis II test for specific areas.

    Reinstatement of an expired IPL or CPL NC License can only be requested by a hiring school system. It is issued for 5 years, and the educator must complete 8 CEUs in that time period.

Contact Us