Becoming a Bus Driver
Requirements for Becoming a Bus Driver
To become a bus driver for Cumberland County Schools, you must meet the
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have a valid NC driver’s license and must be a licensed driver for a minimum of 6 months
- Pass a DOT physical examination and obtain a DOT medical card as required by the FMCSA
- Pass qualifications as determined by NCDMV
- Complete the Bus Driver Training Class* sponsored by Cumberland County Schools
and the North Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles (NCDMV)
*The Bus Driver Training Class consists of three (3) days of classroom training
and three (3) days of road training. These days are not consecutive.
Steps to Become a Bus Driver for Cumberland County Schools
1) Fill out an application online.
Click here to begin your application Be sure to select “Bus Driver” on “type of application.”
2) A Background Form must be filled out and turned into Transportation for a background check.
3) Once the background check is complete, all applicants who are eligible to attend class will receive a letter from the Transportation Office. These letters will provide information on class dates and times. Bus Driver Training Class will consist of three (3) consecutive days of classroom work and three (3) days of road testing. Road testing is conducted by the DMV officers and will be scheduled following the successful completion of the classroom portion of the class.
4) Upon successful completion of the classroom portion, you will be sent for a Pre-Employment drug screen. After satisfactory results of the drug screening are received, you will need to go to the NC Driver's License Agency and obtain a Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP). You will need to hold the permit for at least 14 days before you can participate in the road training portion. Upon successful completion of the road portion of the class, you will need to go to the NC Driver’s License Agency and purchase a CDL with a P&S endorsement.
5) Upon receipt of your license, you will need to come to the Cumberland County Schools Transportation Department and turn in all appropriate paperwork.
If you would like more information or are interested in becoming a bus driver, please contact the Cumberland County Schools Transportation Office at (910) 678-2581 or click here to email our office.
1014 Gillespie St.
Fayetteville, NC 28306