Board Approves Waiver for Student Participation in Extracurriculars & Organizations activities.
Because of the impact of COVID-19 school closures, members of the Board approved waiving the 2.0 GPA or minimum of 70 grade average requirement of Policy 3620, Paragraph B.1 for the first semester of the 2020-2021 school year only. The waiver further states that if a student is promoted in 2019-2020, they will be eligible for participation in extracurricular and co-curricular activities, including athletics, for the first semester of 2020- 2021. After the first semester, the policy’s existing academic eligibility requirements will go back on to effect.
PHYSICAL: The NCHSAA and the State Board of Education passed a rule extending the dates on physicals. If an athlete has a physical dated April 1, 2019 or after, that student will receive a one year extension on their physical so in this case the physical would not expire until April 1, 2021.
If a student has a physical that was taken prior to April 1, 2019, they will have to get a new physical.
Eligibility Qualifications include:
– Must reside in school district or been assigned by the LEA (students on special assignment must sit out 365 days)– Cannot have missed more than 13 days in the previous semester (13= good, 14=bad)
– Cannot have failed 2 or more classes for the previous semester
– Must have an overall 2.0 GPA or 70% or better for the previous semester
– Must have a current physical that doesn’t expire before the end of the season.
– Must be registered in FinalForms for participating in sports.
– Must be younger than 15 on August 31 of the current school year
– Parent must attend the mandatory parent athletic briefing PRIOR to trying out
– 6th graders may participate with the exception of football. 6th graders upon initial promotion to the 6th grade are automatically eligible. 6th graders must meet all requirements in the 2nd semester for sports season.
ONLINE PARENT & STUDENT ATHLETIC REGISTRATION 2020-2021
Parent and student athlete participating in sports for the 2020-2021 school year, must complete the Pre-Participation registration forms online.
Please see the links provided below for instructions for Final Forms Registration where student and parent can create their profile and then complete all the necessary forms for your child to be able to participate in sports. Arbiter forms are no longer in use.
A printable version of the updated Athletic Physical form has also been provided.