McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Services
Social Work Services
Cumberland County Schools
2465 Gillespie Street
Fayetteville, NC 28306
Pamela Story, Coordinator
McKinney Vento Homeless Education Staff:Pamela S. Story, MSW Mable Harper Lisa PhillipsSocial Work Coordinator Administrative Professional State CoordinatorHomeless Liaison Social Work & Counseling NC Homeless Education Program910-678-2621 910-678-2402 LPHILLIP@serve.org910-678-2617 fax 910-678-2617 firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.comEvery school district by federal law in the United States Must appoint a Liaison that will ensure compliance of the law. Every school has a Social Worker who serves as the McKinney-Vento Point of Contact in Cumberland County Schools.District McKinney-Vento Data:*School Year Number of Certified Students Reported2014-2015 8122015-2016 5662016-2017 8052017-2018 7752018-2019 8502019-2020 811
* sourced from NCHEP
The McKinney Vento Act is a federal law passed to help families who are homeless keep their children in school. It addresses educational challenges and guarantees students the right to immediate enrollment, it removes barriers and helps students "in transition" succeed in school.
The term “homeless children and youth”—
A. means individuals who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence; and
B. includes —
- children and youth who are sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason; are living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to the lack of alternative adequate accommodations; or are living in emergency or transitional shelters or are abandoned in hospitals.
- children and youth who have a primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designed for or ordinarily used as a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings...
- children and youth who are living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similar settings.
- migratory children who qualify as homeless; and
- youth living on their own, living with others, run-aways, or kicked out.
For Additional Information Regarding the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act: